Dad and daughter

Can You Change Child Support Orders?

One thing in life is constant— change. Your circumstances may look entirely different than when you initially divorced. You may have experienced a loss in financial stability or changes in your family dynamic. Family law courts recognize these changes, and even though child support has been settled, you are allowed to legally modify those original orders.

Our team at Reagan, Melton & Delaney, L.L.P. can examine your situation and prepare your court filing to ensure the greatest chance of success.

Contact Us

How to Modify Child Support

In Nebraska, you can seek a modification of child support if there has been a significant change affecting your income or ability to pay support. Examples include:

  • Loss of employment
  • You or your spouse gets a new job with significantly higher or lower pay
  • You have another child
  • You child’s needs change

The circumstances must result in a change of 10% or more, but not less than $25 of the current child support obligations. Additionally, the change in financial circumstances must have occurred for three months prior to filing and likely to continue for six months. You will have to provide evidence, including proof of income sources (e.g., pay stubs, tax returns, W-2s) to show the change.

When courts take these cases into consideration, they’re looking to see if the modification is in the child’s best interests.

To begin the process, you must file a complaint to modify with the court that ordered the original child support plan. From there, our attorneys can help you navigate the process, ensuring that you submit the correct paperwork and that your request accurately reflects the reasons you’re seeking a modification.

If you have questions about Nebraska’s child support guidelines or modifying your current orders, do not hesitate to reach out to the team at Reagan, Melton & Delaney, L.L.P.. Schedule your consultation today at (402) 226-1899.